Copyright

Monday, September 27, 2010

Historic Flooding

I lived in one city for the first 24 years of my life.  The next 13 years of my life I've lived in another city.  If someone had told me that I would end up loving my "new city," I would have told them early on that they were nuts! 

I moved from what I considered a major city (with a mall, a variety of 24-hr conveniences, access to wonderful medical care, plenty of activities, parks, etc) to a "blip" on the map (no mall, 24-hr nothing, mid-level medical care, and virtually no activities to speak of unless that activities included doing something at a local park) that made me question why in the world I had ever even considered this move, let alone actually went through with it!

Little did I know that that little "blip on the map" would soon become home to me...the place from which I planned my wedding, bought my first house, got my first "real" job, had my first child, bought my second home, and headed up the efforts to expand the size of our family through the adoption of a little girl who lived halfway around the world from us.

So, it was with a heavy heart that I watched my hometown be devastated by a flood of historic proportions last week.  In fact, we received over 6 inches of rain in less than 24 hours.  Something that had never, E-V-E-R occurred in the history of the city itself.  It started on Wednesday, Sept. 22nd and ended just as quickly as it had started, on Thursday, Sept. 23rd.  At one point in time there were over 70 road closures and only one east-west passage through the city.

I watched the water rise and with every waking hour, creep closer and closer to homes and businesses throughout the city.  People's livelihood on the line.  People's safety on the line.  People's futures on the line.  I watched...and waited...and prayed.  For my own family...and for others.  For the volunteers.  For the police, firefighters, and the members of the National Guard who were here to help.

And then -- a break in the rain came.  The sun has since peeked out.  The clean-up has begun.  People are giving their all.  It is an amazing sight to witness.  In recent days, my husband and I have made our own contributions to the clean-up and recovery efforts and if there is one thing we've learned from all of this, it is that we couldn't be more proud to call this city home!

Here are some photos from around town:

The retaining pond across from our home - full

Downtown area

Bridge under water in a local park

Local business

Garage behind a home near the river

Park near utility company

Another local park

Cars at an impasse

Flooded truck

Flooded road


No comments: